I feel that the Lake Trout stocking should continue, but only in a diminished effort in order to keep the species present. The stated aim regarding Laker stocking was to re-establish a former ecology which isn't gonna happen at all.

If a species thrives and delivers benefits to us then it should be encouraged.

Supply your own benefit here. It could be:

a) Bragging rights: Lakers can be huge in Huron and many appreciate this;
b) A strong fight: a big Laker doesn't have the sparkle of 'Bow or Salmon fight but I enjoy its bulldogging and my effort to get it in;
c) Gustatory: everything, except older Lakers and Browns, is safe to various degrees and the rest is a dining treasure;
d) Economic: any of the foregoing benefits are major economic assets to our district because they draw anglers from around the world to the GB/Huron fishery.

Except for the pleasure of landing a large fish, I'm saying that Lakers are a limited draw for anglers. Yet they should be conscientiously maintained as a conservation effort.

I suggest that a goodly portion of MNR budget for Laker stocking should be diverted to the private stocking clubs which are constantly under economic and regulatory stress. We do good work and we work for free and show stellar results.

We have done the work, we enjoyed that work, and we devoted a large part of our living year to it.

So far our government, but not the ministry staff, has pissed on us.