Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Reels

tie1on

Float Reels

Kingpin, New Stanton or Riverkeeper/Frogwater? Input anyone???

All are excellent reels,but I've only had the chance to fish KP and I can attest to the fact that they are excellent. If you want a riverkeeper or frogwater you may have to wait for Robb's next batch or find a used one. The new stantons sound good but you may have to pay duty on them.

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook
    Looking for a unique, high performance small batch reel...Frogwater. I run a Frog and a Lil Frog..both are a joy to fish. Made in Ontario by a steelheader and board member. Robb is top notch.

Looking for large scale....proven quality and a solid name...Islander. Canadian, bullet proof and still one of the best on the market.

You can take any of mine for a spin if you were close to home and I am sure you would agree.
    Grey Bruce Bass Club/Ontario Steelheaders-Saugeen

Prostaff: Williams spoons, Maxima Line, Exude Baits, Redwing Tackle, Islander Reels, Pautzke Bait Co., Hawkens Jigs and proud supporter of Riverkeeper Reels.

Here's a quick review I did a couple years ago on the Frogwater...hopefully it helps a little.
    http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/for...ight=frogwater
    I don't care if you lick windows or ride the short bus. You hang in there Sunshine! You're friggin SPECIAL!!

I can back Josh up on the comment he made on the Islander. I'm hard on equipment and this Islander has taken everything I could throw at it and then some. Had a couple falls at the river during battles and laid it down in mud and silted up water time and time again with out any grinding afterwards. They say its the workhorse of float reels....I totally agree !!

I fish therefore I am

dollar for dollar the best reel on the market Islander can't be beat

GBO Member
    If I had to pick out of the reels the op asked about Id pick one of Robbs
    Great guy great service

Goodluck

Kodey
    Saugeen and sauble

I am sucker for the Stanton design and look but IMO, the new Stanton is overrated for its price. Think they are riding on the name, history and the option for "custom" engraving to command a price tag of over $500.

I gave Robb's reel a go ( when Backman had it on a GBO demo run). Great start up and very light with some extreme tolerances! It (Frogwater) would be pole position on my list if I were on the market for a reel.

Islander reel is definitely a mainstay. Self included, I have found it to be a reel most have gone "back to" after trying others. Can't really go wrong with it, new or a well cared for experienced one.
    GT......... Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee (1940-1973)

All depends on the type of fishing you do and how you treat your equipment. I have no expeience with the new Stantons but the old ones have always been problem free for me. As for the other two, I've fished Kingpins and a Riverkeeper and I'd definitely go with one of Robb's reels over the Kingpin........

GBO Member
    I currently fish a Frogwater and a Riverkeeper. I like the finger holes, larger diameter spool and the bonus that it's a locally built product. I loved my Islander but sold it due to lake of use (no finger holes). I can vouch that Robb's reels are pretty tough too. I took a nasty spill and landed on the rocks on top of mine last year. It still spins like new despite the character building battle scars!

chromedreamer
    i fish with the raven matrix xl dollar for dollar good reel for under 300 dollars

GBO Member
    I just bought a Raven matrix xl too! It is my first centerpin reel and the first trip out to the Saugeen I landed an 8lb.male bow!

Gotta mention my buddy Adam DeMarco in this thread as well. Reels are top notch, great customer service, one of the best reels on the market in my opinion. I've got both a Frogwater and a DeMarco and it's always a tough choice on which one to fish!

(insert something smart to say here)

This is my 7th year steelheading with a pin, bought a used islander and it has received some serious punishment in that time. Incredible reel, I've never had an urge to switch and the bearings are super easy and cheap to change when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marzana View Post
    Gotta mention my buddy Adam DeMarco in this thread as well. Reels are top notch, great customer service, one of the best reels on the market in my opinion. I've got both a Frogwater and a DeMarco and it's always a tough choice on which one to fish!

Oh no Bill Not the candle LOL

You've got a couple of the best, that's for sure I'd say it's time for a RSG Custom to complete the lineup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast