Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GBO Member

Lake Huron Water Levels

I was down at the shoreline this morning at my favorite launch site. There is a rock that I use as a gauge for lake levels. Normally the top of the rock is above the waterline by a couple of inches. I last looked at this particular rock the last day of the Chantry. In 6 weeks, the water level of Huron has gone down 18"!!
    Forget launching at Baie du Dor - I doubt you could get a boat off of a trailer!
    Has anyone ever seen this type of dramatic lake level decline in such a short amount of time????

R.I.P
    I thought it was my imagination. I have been fishing owen sound and scratched my head the other night thinking "wasn't that ladder below the water line before ? "

GBO Member
    Thanks Jim. It is staggering at how quickly the level has dropped. I measured the rock and it is 18" to the waterline from where it was at the conclusion of the Chantry. I am hoping a lifelong resident from the shoreline tells me to relax that it is just a normal September cycle, but I sure am worried........

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/C&A/netgraphs_e.html

Another possibility are the wind directions changing the water levels between the two times you observed the rock. If you checked the first time with predominantly west winds and the second time during winds out of the east, it might explain the scenario as the winds push the water from side to side over a large area. I notice this up in purgatory cove where our cottage is. Not sure if this is the case, just a possibility.

That being said; there's no doubt the water levels are falling, but I doubt it's 18 inches in six weeks.

Elias.

GBO Member
    Thanks Elias. I call the lake rise and fall because of the wind conditions the "swish". This drop is just too much for the swish. I am encouraged that the long term average shows it slightly below normal. I just hope we get 8' of snow this winter to help bring some stability back..........

GBO Member
    Here's the thing about lake effect snow:
    It really has no positives for the overall lake levels since the moisture comes from the lake and drains back. Better to have rain storms that come up the Mississippi valley once a week and drop an inch at a time. Dreaming again....

GBO Member
    Thanks Bill. Let's keep dreaming that the rains come. I just want to be able to launch my boat and wet a line........

Originally posted by Michael Hahn
    Thanks Bill. Let's keep dreaming that the rains come. I just want to be able to launch my boat and wet a line........
    Mike...we will just have to get you out on a kayak then...there will be no issues launching at the Baie.

GBO Member
    Could I be trusted in a kayak Mike?????

GBO Member
    Was down to my daughters near Belle River this weekend and was at her father in laws for a while . He has a river running at the back of his property that runs into Lake St Clair and it is the lowest I've seen it in the fifteen years I've been going there . Also took a walk over to the lake and the lake is way , way down . looks like levels are down all over .

All boaters take care out there , Neil.

GBO Member
    Mike
    I too noticed the lake levels are way way down.
    I walk along the board walk every day almost here in Southampton and was thinking this morning wow is the lake ever low. Now a east wind will lower the lake but we have had no east winds for at least a week.
    As mentioned we need some fresh rain from the Mississippi Valley as that is the only way I see we can get back some water for our Great Lakes as snow just won't do it.

Ususally we get our lowest lake levels in the spring so who knows what next spring will bring.
    Iv'e seen rocks I have never seen before above water or even knew existed.

Bob

Add JackFrank on Facebook
    I was just in Port Elgin and couldn't believe the kids floating fishing dock is resting on the shore. Only part of the floatation barrels are in the water.

GBO Member
    Thanks Guys.

I cannot imagine the lake level falling more in the Spring!! The Kincardine and Port Elgin launches will have a 3 hour waiting time to get our boats in the water.........

Originally posted by JackFrank
    I was just in Port Elgin and couldn't believe the kids floating fishing dock is resting on the shore. Only part of the floatation barrels are in the water.
    Yes I noticed that as well. I can tell you earlier this summer they were actually floating on water.

Michael, like you I have noticed this dramatic drop in water levels and it sure it alarming. But to put a positive, during the summer on more than one occasion I saw the water level in the marina rise 6" - likely a result of the large 'swish' you mentioned.

There is no doubt that lake levels are down everywhere from the hot dry summer, but I how the 'swish' is making it look worse than in actually is.

GBO Member
    Thanks Chris. I guess we let the Mississippi Rain Makers dance away and hope for the best!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast