Originally posted by james vandivier
Speaking of the mississippi isn't that where the great lakes water going? Correct me if I'm wrong? Please.....
You're wrong. A year or so ago I attended the public info session of the study group commissioned by the IJC. One of the points that they made was that the main to factors that determine Lake Michigan-Huron levels are local inflow from the watershed and evaporation. i.e. even the inflow from Superior and the outflow thru Lake St. Clair was less important. The amount going down the Miss is quite insignificant.

This study group seem quite professional and I have no reason to doubt their integrity. Even if they were willing to 'cook the books' to give a biased result, it's hard to imagine the IJC asking them to do that since the IJC itself has many divergent interests. It's hard to see them reach any kind of consensus as to what conclusions they wanted the study group to come to.

So the water level in Huron is an environmental issue, not a political one---unless you count global warming as a political issue.