Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    If they are taking water down the Mississippi & they are, it sure isn't helping.
    Tight Lines Richard

GBO Member
    You are right on that one Richard.
    And I beleive someone said they put a plug in Superior to keep its water level up.
    So between those 2 things it can't be good news for the rest of the Great Lakes.

Bob

GBO Member
    Just to add a bit more info:

I attended the public hearing of the IJC study group in Collingwood a year or so ago. 2 points that were made that evening were (1)changes to the St. Clair River had a relatively minor effect. The study concluded that the difference was in the 70-140 cm range(see below). (2)The two primary variables affecting the Michigan-Huron water levels were, on the - side, evaporation from Mich-Huron and, on the + side, direct flow into the watershed i.e that flow overshadowed flow from Superior.

From their website:
    http://www.iugls.org/Decision_tree_tool
    Key Findings
    ST. CLAIR RIVER HAS CHANGED, ACCOUNTING FOR 7-14 CM OF TOTAL HEAD DECLINE

INCREASING PRECIPITATION HAS SOMEWHAT OFFSET INCREASING EVAPORATION ON MICHIGAN-HURON AND ERIE, BUT NOT ON SUPERIOR
    Description
    The Study sought to improve the accuracy and consistency in net basin supply (NBS) estimates through modification of existing models, development of new models, collection of new data, and improvement of a range of methodologies that have been used for lake level estimation. It was concluded that the improved estimates of runoff, evaporation and over-lake precipitation still incorporate and introduce significant uncertainty into the overall water balance. Despite uncertainties, the Study concluded that it is clear that lake evaporation is increasing and likely will increase for the foreseeable future, likely due to the lack of ice-cover, increasing surface water temperatures and wind speeds. Analysis indicates that in the Lake Michigan-Huron basin, this increased evaporation is being largely offset by increases in local precipitation. In the Lake Superior basin, however, increasing evaporation over the past 60 years has not been compensated for by increased precipitation. As a result, NBS have been declining in general in the basin. This trend is consistent with the current understanding of climate change. Unless changes in the precipitation regime occur, which is possible, NBS in Lake Superior will continue to decline, on average, despite the possibility of higher water supplies at times. It will be important to ensure that further climate analysis be undertaken to explore these dynamics and provide more certainty of future NBS estimates.
    "A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Agree with all. I was able to walk the north pier last week and my visual marker was down from last fall which then was the lowest that I and others who have lived here longer have seen. Never mind snow - it's been the very dry summers over recent years that concern me. Summers have been the killer.

My parents live on the St. Clair River in Port lambton. The situation is very noticeable from my parents dock, and he is concerned that he may not even be able to use his boat lift due to the shallow water. On another note, and I don't know if it is connected but the bass fishing off of his dock was unbelievable. Every cast produced fish, with 6-12 other fish chasing the hooked fish as it was reeled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kiffman View Post
    My parents live on the St. Clair River in Port lambton. The situation is very noticeable from my parents dock, and he is concerned that he may not even be able to use his boat lift due to the shallow water. On another note, and I don't know if it is connected but the bass fishing off of his dock was unbelievable. Every cast produced fish, with 6-12 other fish chasing the hooked fish as it was reeled in.
    Not a good sign of the times.

Jason, If you could give me the co-ordinates of the dock in question, I could conduct my own study... (spin rod in hand)
    Get it bent!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Weiler View Post
    Not a good sign of the times.

Jason, If you could give me the co-ordinates of the dock in question, I could conduct my own study... (spin rod in hand)
    LOL-----To be honest I think it was good all along that shoreline. The walleye fishing though has really fallen off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123