Thread: Chantry Wrapup

Hybrid View

Chantry Wrapup

Those of you who are interested can see full results on the Chantry web site:

Chantry Derby

Here are some thanks, facts and observations you can't get from our Derby site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We sold 1096 tickets to 1334 entrants. We have to go back several years to match those numbers. We are up over 10% from last year and this is the best result that I've seen since becoming involved. There are obvious (to me) reasons for this success.

GBO is the dominant medium bar none for the Grey/Bruce Salmonid angler.

Bruce, you supported us with not only banner space, but 3 separate LHFC forums including one for the Chantry. The Banner yielded a considerable number of hits according to Rick D. our web master. GBO "chatter" built up huge interest for our event.

Another factor is Josh C. and Steelheaders. Our momentum began building with J.C. articles describing the success on the Saugeen.

You may recall my whine that we only had 8 entrants and 8 tickets from Owen Sound? Well, Josh again... he published an article about the Chantry, and guess what?... 31 entries and 21 tickets sold pop up on my chart. Those extra ticket sales @ $30 (or $90) come after our expenses are covered and go directly to LHFC. They also represent a significant portion of our increased sales.

Mike Hahn proposed PayPal to our Committee. This resulted in a measurable sales inrrease.

Salmon numbers were down slightly, but other species were up. Lots of reports of big blips at Salmon depth and no takes over several passes. Grain of salt. Lots of break-offs of "...biggest I've ever.." Pass the salt again :P:P

I have to remark on shifts when we were swamped with Rainbow. Often enough that I realized it was worth noticing.

Visited the cleaning station occasionally and saw a few Chinooks with huge amounts of Smelt in their craw. And some Gobies.

Some slightly thin Rainbow, Salmon generally healthy.

Encountered a few entrants from Toronto (very few) who passed on the Derby down south in favour of Chantry. Hoping this is a trend. Again, they probably visited this site.

Unbelievable results in our corporate prize/fund raising. Choronzey Jr. and Sr., and Kathy Hahn largely responsible. They brought in totally new or increased donations.

There is a hard core of local business supporters we rely on. If you have a choice where to buy your car, boat, lunch, smokes, gift, a special night out or whatever - make the honourable choice - check our site's sponsor list or the one in your latest brochure.

A big thanks to you entrants who donated a catch to the LHFC Fish Fry and all those who attended.

Don't stow your gear.

Next up is the Owen Sound Derby. Second largest in the Province and definitely big time in stature. Chantry wishes you success.

Huge thanks to all - NT

GBO Member
    Great job Nick. The rest of the Derby Committee did one heck of a job as well. Already looking forward to next year!

Thanks for all your hard work Nick, it sure was appreciated.

GBO Member
    All I can say is "Thank you very much" to you, the rest of the derby committee and all the volunteers. My father, my kids, and myself all enjoyed the derby again this year even though we couldn't manage to get on the board. I have some vacation time booked but when I get back in September I will be joining the LHFC. I've been enjoying fishing in the lake for many years now and it's about time I start to pay my dues.

Nick,
    Thanks for sharing all of the information. I was hoping to make it out this year for the derby but work got in the way and the days I might have been able to make it out was too windy.
    I have a question regarding the purchase of a derby ticket. I understand the logic behind having to purchase your derby ticket at least one day before you are going to fish, but what about someone who might make a decision spur of the moment and want to go and wants to buy a ticket but won't cause he cannot use it the day he/she purchased the ticket.
    In my case, my wife and I were thinking of going up one day when the wind and weather permitted but did not go as it was a last minute decision and knew that if we bought a ticket it was no good to the next day. Would it not be possible to purchase the same day and use the same day if you show that you just arrived and would like to fish the derby that day. The people in charge could search both the vehicle and boat to ensure no cheating was taking place?
    I am thinking that the derby may be able to have a few more people enter if they knew they could buy on the day they were going to fish the derby as long as you buy from one of the weight stations and would allow a search of the vehicle and boat before hand to ensure no cheating is taking place? Just a thought.

Originally posted by John Williams
    Nick,
    Thanks for sharing all of the information. I was hoping to make it out this year for the derby but work got in the way and the days I might have been able to make it out was too windy.
    I have a question regarding the purchase of a derby ticket. I understand the logic behind having to purchase your derby ticket at least one day before you are going to fish, but what about someone who might make a decision spur of the moment and want to go and wants to buy a ticket but won't cause he cannot use it the day he/she purchased the ticket.
    In my case, my wife and I were thinking of going up one day when the wind and weather permitted but did not go as it was a last minute decision and knew that if we bought a ticket it was no good to the next day. Would it not be possible to purchase the same day and use the same day if you show that you just arrived and would like to fish the derby that day. The people in charge could search both the vehicle and boat to ensure no cheating was taking place?
    I am thinking that the derby may be able to have a few more people enter if they knew they could buy on the day they were going to fish the derby as long as you buy from one of the weight stations and would allow a search of the vehicle and boat before hand to ensure no cheating is taking place? Just a thought.
    I will certainly raise the matter, John.

Thanks Nick, greatly appreciated.

GBO Member

Thanks Nick

Nick,

I envy your writing skills. Your statements are calculated, and executed with the precision of a scholar.......Thank you for keeping us all informed. Fantastic job of getting the word out that we need help.....You convinced Mr. Wilson to sign his entire clan up to the LHFC!!!! Thank you!

Originally posted by Michael Hahn
    Nick,

I envy your writing skills. Your statements are calculated, and executed with the precision of a scholar.......Thank you for keeping us all informed. Fantastic job of getting the word out that we need help.....You convinced Mr. Wilson to sign his entire clan up to the LHFC!!!! Thank you!
    Thanks, Mike. I'm going to show this to my wife. :P

GBO Member

Visit louie david's Youtube Channel
    Very nice recap Nick..
    It was great meeting some of the guys in the booth although I always forget names. We went out when we can and that's a great place to launch. We enjoyed the derby and the chance to go boating.
    We went back there yesterday just to look and tour the town as we didn't have a chance to do that before.
    The fish and chips at the Erie Billie was great...Nice spot for supper.
    Should also drop by the hatchery sometime.
    Do you know off hand the times they are open for a tour of the facilities?
    Next stop is Owen Sound....Good luck to all and safe boating.

louie

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Louie.

Originally posted by louie david
    Do you know off hand the times they are open for a tour of the facilities?
    Here is what the LHFC web site has to say, "To request tours or obtain additional information please contact our Trout Hatchery Manager
    Al Wilkins @ fisheye@bmts.com."

If cars are parked in front then I'm sure you won't be turned away. It's well worth the visit.