Thread: Full Moon

Hybrid View

GBO Member

Full Moon

Just wanted to ask opnions about fishing the day after a full moon.

Hit the lake this morning, 1 knock off and two bumps on the leadcore, that was it.

From what we heard on the radio, not much was caught. Last night was a full moon. My theory is that the salmon, steelhead ect. fed all night with the moonlight, and are not hungry or actively feeding the morning after.

What are your experiences, theory's about this? When is the best time to resume fishing after a full moon?

Mike

GBO Member

Visit louie david's Youtube Channel
    I'm sure it affects the bite somehow but I haven't got personal notes on this at all.

GBO Member
    I never had any success trolling for Salmonids a day before and two days after a full moon.
    Strangely though stream fishing for them during the same period was far more successful.

Add JackFrank on Facebook
    A wise old troll once said that the steelhead don't hit the rivers until after the 10th full moon of the year.:P:P:P However, I don't know how it effects fish in the lake.

I know a guy who just stays home when it is a full moon. Last summer I fished 3 days of full moon in a row. First day we limited on walleye on a local lake, day after I got 2 big browns in a river and the next day we caught 25 fish for 4 ppl on lake O. I don't believe in full moon after that

GBO Member
    Hey Mike

A full moon definetly affects fishing. I remember the commercial fisherman would not even fish a full moon. (2 Days before and 2 Days after)

Tonight looked like a North Port Nailer in Chartrease and White, use to be a killer with the way the sky looked tonight. My Buddies boat was called
    "Normys Nailer" (his favorite go to lure was the North Port Nailer)

How did you and Dad make out tonight I seen the boat out.

Bob

Well the Kincardine Pier was on fire today for Kids Day. Over sixty kids fishing. One kid caught over 20 fish himself. A huge rock bass was weighed in. I do not know the weight but it was more than my daughters 15 inch largemouth. I guess the full moon turns on the rock bass and goby bite.

GBO Member
    Add BradHodkinson on Facebook
    Originally posted by JackFrank
    A wise old troll once said that the steelhead don't hit the rivers until after the 10th full moon of the year.:P:P:P However, I don't know how it effects fish in the lake.
    your close the 10th full moon isnt steelhead its the full blown run of nooks but usualy the steelhead arnt far behind

Add JackFrank on Facebook
    Originally posted by BradHodkinson
    Originally posted by JackFrank
    your close the 10th full moon isnt steelhead its the full blown run of nooks but usualy the steelhead arnt far behind

Sorry, my bad. Thanks for the correction BH.:P

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook
    Full moon plays a role in behavior for sure.
    However I do not believe it plays a major
    role on Huron. Baitfish are scarce and the salmon are opportunistic feeding when they find food. Success is more or less attributted to finding active fish.
    We put 8 chinooks in the boat 2 evenings ago and I doubt the moon played much of a factor. We hadn't had a sniff until we moved and found fish.

I was fishing off Port Glasgow yesterday and the Walleyes were turned on...we managed to get 5 eyes to the boat along with tons of farmanimals (Sheephead and Silver bass) even lost a few eyes at the boat...the water and the day was awesome for fishing conditions, i even got a major sun burn for my efforts...I will say i never marked as many bait fish as i have in yrs past fishing that area. There was lots of boats out there yesterday. I think the full moon has a huge effect of the feeding habits of the fish. I beleive they are feeding at night during the full moon phase............Jim

Friday night I believe was the day before the 'full' moon and I boated 2. Nothing since though. Same time of day, same lures etc.

I have read that full moons effect feeding patterns of fish - generally the are on a feed frenzy later into the night because it's not as dark. Full moon simulates dawn/dusk in a way. The morning after is generally skunky and fish turn on again the afternoon after.

Will give er another go tonight and try to find the kings

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook
    Dont get too hung up on the moon....find the fish, put the right lures past them at the right speed.

Moon or no moon...if you are trolling an area without numbers of kings your not going to catch regardless.

Chinooks, especially this time of year can be gone from an area in hours. Wind changes, temp changes and bait movements keep the salmon travelling.

My boat's tally since Friday
    5 trips, 20 mature kings. Moon had little effect on where and how we fished.
    Top 5 out of my boat is leading the aggregate salmon thanks to my buddy Mya's stellar hook to land ratio, with our next 5 prolly a very close second.

Too many viariables on Huron these days to worry about before "playing" the moon. Little bait out there, warm temps, high winds and salmon densities that are still very low in terms of mature chinooks.