Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 derby chat

2012 derby chat

Wondering how many members here plan to make it out for the derby? What Port are you heading out of? How many days will you fish?

I've got a friend coming up to port tonight. We are going to hit the water pretty hard after the clock strikes midnight. Not sure what direction we are headed in yet but will have the VHF on.

GBO Member
    Leaving Sat AM for Port Elgin . Will not likely make it out till Sun AM but hoping to be out every morning for the next week ( weather permitting ) . Will likely make it out a few evening depending on wifes schedule , company , afternoon soda pops etc . Call sign is " Downtime " . Best of luck .
    Neil

A few reminders to all.

Ticket sales are now closed at most outlets except the following, cash only till 6.pm. daily:

HI-Way Variety - Kincardine
    Lake Huron Rod & Gun - Underwood
    J&S Tackle - Port Elgin
    Martins Home Hardware - Southampton
    Ferndale Food Mart - Lions Head
    Fletcher Sports - Shallow Lake
    Ace'n JJ's Gas & Convenience Inc. - Walkerton
    Lambeth Rod & Tackle - London
    Kingsway Fishing Tackle - Guelph
    Rainbow Sports - Waterloo

The Derby weigh stations are open tonight, Friday July 27, from 6 to 9:30 p.m. for ticket sales only. Tickets are of course available at the weigh stations during the Derby. Online purchases are available with PayPal on the Derby web site.

Parking and launching are free in Kincardine Southampton and Pike Bay. In Port Elgin remember to obtain free passes for launch and parking.

Tickets are not valid until the next day. You must have a ticket sold at least one day before you intend to fish. If you book a charter, the skipper is allowed to sell you a ticket on the day of your booking.

I'll be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability here.

Enjoy and be safe.

Great, thanks for the info and reminders Nick. I'm in countdown mode right now. So pumped to get out and just enjoy the time on the water!

GBO Member
    Very excited. The kids, my father and I will be fishing out of Kincardine. Going down to the boat in a little while to do a final inventory and check over. I should be out every evening, weather permitting, and about 8 mornings. Fishing out of "Fish Hawk", our 22 foot Aquasport. Give us a shout on the radio sometime.

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook
    Headed down to Erie tonight to pick up the Whaler for the summer salmon derby season.

Will be fishing every evening and morning I can manage to make work. Trip from home is only about 25 minutes so I am sure there will be plenty of trips.

Ports?....Wherever the fish are, likely North of Port Elgin.

No VHF chit chat for this guy....

Originally posted by Josh Choronzey
    ........ No VHF chit chat for this guy....
    Switch "cloaking mode" to "ON" ............ Whose got good binoculars?

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook

Originally posted by GilTam
    Originally posted by Josh Choronzey
    ........ No VHF chit chat for this guy....
    Switch "cloaking mode" to "ON" ............ Whose got good binoculars?
    Josh is just scared that someone will reverse look up his vhf and find out where him and all of the fish are hiding

GBO Member
    We will be out of Baie de Dor tomorrow around 4am. Good luck out there boys! call out for the "Lenny Zee" if you are looking to chat.

GBO Member

Visit louie david's Youtube Channel
    Some vhf are also connected to GPS so you can locate each other.
    I will be there for the first time fishing lake Huron giving my wife a boat ride, we got our tickets just in case but it will be just maybe for a couple of times just to fish the lake.
    What channel do you guys use if you're in Kincardine?
    I'm "Red.... on the Galaxy"....
    I'll probably call for any GBO members so you guys can show me how to catch these fish.

GBO Member
    I believe most of the fisherman hang out on channel 71.

GBO Member
    Weather permitting we will be out of Port Elgin first thing in the morning. Some one will be out on the "Firefly" for every day of the derby. I personally will be here this weekend, home for 5 days of work
    Then back for the long weekend and the following week.

We are willing to share info with anyone, just return info in kind.

We monitor channel 71.

Good luck to all, safe boating, and tight lines.

Mike

Committee members picked up outlying tickets today and we began entering them into the system.

As of this moment we have 838 entrants and I think that's it for today - immediately prior to Day 1. Some of our committee may be on a well deserved break, but if you have a ticket, rest assured you're good for tomorrow. Charter tickets and later data entries may bump the total. But I'm happy with 839 because last year we had 819 at the end of day 1 including charters.

I met Kyle Watson and his delightful family tonight and can tell you all to forget about Choronzey, Freiberger, Wilton, Von Moorsberg and the usual suspects.

Watson entered his kids - so forget it.

I'm on tomorrow morning at Kincardine and in and out sporadically. Have had to cut back. Hope to greet many of you through the week.

Will keep all posted on developments.

GBO Member

Visit louie david's Youtube Channel
    We are planning to fish on Monday and then maybe another day during the week.
    Good luck everyone....

louie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast