Originally posted by Josh Choronzey
Originally posted by John Bennett
Few big Lakes "scare" me. The two that do are
Superior
Huron
followed by Simcoe in the fall.

Type of guy I am, if I lived in OS I might have a boat suitable for those waters. I know I wouldn't own a boat I'd feel comfortable taking into Huron asi ti would be large, expensive and not something Id want to tow around to fish somewhere other than Huron out of SH, Kincardine etc.

So a boat for OS would be small, versatile, something I could make use of in many places. A boat that id use for Huron would be parked somewhere there permantly and not too often used, other than trolling offshore there.
JB is on the money.

I chum with a good number of OS salmon guys (or fellas who were).
The vast majority of them NEVER make it over to Huron, even considering it is a 25 minute drive. They miss out on some of the best salmon fishing in the area (Huron/Gbay).
Soon as some guys get on the big water they pull massive brain farts and ZERO in terms of fish. With the option to use 2 rods per person and the endless amounts of "unconfined" water, Huron should be the 1st choice. Sometimes it is hard to convince those who know only what they have fished in the past.

The 2 rod rule on Huron is a major attraction to me when I decide I want to salmon fish. Lets be honest...not in 10 years have I boxed a LIMIT of chinooks in OS Bay. Running 2 rods boosts the chance of hooking an extra fish or two, and these days, that could be all you catch. On Huron, with a friend on board, we run a 4 rod spread and figure out a pattern faster than we would in OS or Colpoys. It makes a difference in the long run and pending weather, I would fish Huron any day over OS.

The geographic set up of OS bay is very accomodating to anglers in town. They know at least "some" fish will show up in the bay each summer and stage before running the Sydenham. The bay provides protected waters and you do not have to be a very educated angler to figure out that the bay acts as a fish funnel as the summer progresses.
I hesitated to state it, but some on our Derby committee referred to a "reluctance" to hazard the big water. Perhaps with the points you laid out here, we can get it up to 10 or even 12 entrants this year.