Thread: Spey leaders

Hybrid View

GBO Member

Spey leaders

I just want to send out a message and see what most of you swingers are using for leader material?
    For swinging heavy flies with a full sink tip, do most use a straight mono leader about the 5 to 8 feet long?
    What about when you dead drift with a floating tip? Do you use tapered leaders as if the rod was a single hander?

Thanks for any input!!
    Mike

GBO Member
    Add BradHodkinson on Facebook
    Mike several different applications
    1) no sink tip swinging i run straight mono length of rod plus fly is usual just under the surface
    2) length of sink tip plus leader = length of rod for deeper water
    3) 2-4' sink tip 2-3' tippet for just under the surface to mid depth
    4) nymphing full leader adjust indicator
    5) dead drift full leader

you will find what works for you but what works somedays wont work others so be prepared to change up

I echo Brad's comments.

I primarily fish sinktips on my skagit lines and sinking polyleaders on my scandi lines. In both cases 2'-5' of 10, 12 or 15# test. Shorter is better as you want the sinktip to pull the fly down fast...a longer tippett defeats this purpose. The longer tippett is only in cases where there is clear water and spooking fish is a concern (but remember a proper swing presents the fly first).

The only other application you might consider is a true Scandi set-up where they use up to 18' of mono/fluoro tippett on a full floater. They need the long leader to get enough anchor/stick in their touch and go casting.

Can't go wrong with Maxima Ultra green or the new fluoros if you have the $$$

GBO Member
    Thanks for the information guys.

So for my Skagit setup with a 10 foot full floating tip I could run a rod length of floro leader in the 10# 12# 0r 15#?
    For a 5’ floating 5’ T-8 tip I could run a 2-5’ floro leader?
    And same goes for my full 10’ t-8 full sinking tip just run a 2-5’ leader of the 10#,12# or 15#?
    Is it necessary to taper the above leaders in order to turn over a fly? or is straight mono fine with the Skagit setup?

Thanks for the schooling!
    Mike

GBO Member
    Add BradHodkinson on Facebook
    Originally posted by Mike Romashyna

So for my Skagit setup with a 10 foot full floating tip I could run a rod length of floro leader in the 10# 12# 0r 15#?
    And same goes for my full 10’ t-8 full sinking tip just run a 2-5’ leader of the 10#,12# or 15#?
    Is it necessary to taper the above leaders in order to turn over a fly? or is straight mono fine with the Skagit setup?

Mike
    you got it Mike the more you cast the easier it gets tapered leaders will be a thing of the past other then using dry flies

GBO Member
    Right On!! Thanks Brad!

Mike

Great thread. Just got some good learning meeeself!

Nardi...

Correct.

What is your application for a full floater skagit? Reason I ask is because if you're doing dry fly/skater work then maybe consider a Scandi line...much nicer to cast and more condusive to touch and go casts. Skagit is more sustained anchor and doesn't lend well to drowning a dry fly.

Having said that dry flies on a floating tip Skagit set-up is fine. Technique is slightly different as you don't get the sticky anchor like normal. Search for Ed Ward's vidoes on Skagit Floating tips segments on youtube...

Originally posted by Mike Romashyna

Mike

GBO Member
    Thanks Richard,

I am really new to this spey thing I was thinking my floating line would be used just for shallow water swinging. I also found with the rod length of leader, it was hard to roll cast when I am laying out line for the snap t, or the double spey. I might try to experiment with a tapered leader for that method. Well see how that goes. Lots of learning to be done!!!

I have never thought of using a scandi line…I didn’t really think I would ever be fishing dry’s for steel but who knows.

Mike