lead core backing

So Santa blew me away this xmas with a new Riverkeeper Frogwater. I am putting it on my new 13' Avid float Rod. It's a little tip heavy, so I'm trying to decide the best way to balance it. I was given a tip by Jos at Angling Outfiitters to use lead core trolling line as backing to up the weight. Will this affect the performance of the reel? The Frogwater is extremely light and I'm not sure I want to mess with that. I might try pencil lead on the rod butt wrapped in electrical tape? Any other ideas? How do you guys balance your rigs?

Probably heavier spool weight would mean a slower startup for the reel. Balancing the rod handle with pencil lead would give more leverage, may be a better option. jmho

Add EliAdair on Facebook
    Sounds to me like you're more on the right track with the pencil lead idea. maybe some advice from some more experienced members can set you in the right direction. good luck.

GBO Member
    I agree, for balance just weight the butt of the rod, not the reel!

I have posted this before, but it still works...
    Take a 35mm film canister, put required quarters in to balance rod, then tape to butt of rod. This gives you the weight you need, it protects the butt of the rod if just cork, and gives you an emergency timmies fund...
    JIM

I run 3 colours of lead core on my reel as well as pencil lead wrapped around the butt of my rod. I can't say I really notice a difference on the reel.

Originally posted by DaveAcal
    So Santa blew me away this Christmas with a new Riverkeeper Frogwater. I am putting it on my new 13' Avid float Rod. It's a little tip heavy, so I'm trying to decide the best way to balance it. I was given a tip by Jos at Angling Outfiitters to use lead core trolling line as backing to up the weight. Will this affect the performance of the reel? The Frogwater is extremely light and I'm not sure I want to mess with that. I might try pencil lead on the rod butt wrapped in electrical tape? Any other ideas? How do you guys balance your rigs?
    Have you tried something as simple as moving your reel back on the handle?

no it never occurred to me.:P