balancing your rod

So Santa Claus blew me away this xmas. I woke up to a Brand new Riverkeeper Frogwater under the tree. I'm still speechless. This is my first pin and I'm going to the shop today to try it on a few rods and see what I like for feel. What 13'-13'6" do you like paired with my new work of art? What do you guys use? I'm a big fan of braid so I like a softer rod to help cushion hooksets. I'm thinking maybe a a raven IM6. Opinions please.

GBO Member
    Congrats on two things.....
    a wife that will buy nice toys, and knows that further expense is going to happen!
    Kind of like you buying her a pair of shoes....you know there will be a purse and dress(es) to go with them very soon.

Robb is the best guy to advise on which rods go well with his reels, but I'm going to suggest that you take the reel with you and try it out on a GLX 3 power. It's soft through the top 2/3rds, but has some power in the bottom.
    I suggest this rod because it is fairly light in weight, (certainly lighter that the raven), but has some power when/if you need it.

Congrats again on your Christmas present.

Originally posted by DaveAcal
    I'm thinking maybe a a raven IM6. Opinions please.
    Don't bother, it's a wet noodle...no balls whatsoever. That reel deserves something better Raven Rv9 is a great stick for a low price.

GBO Member
    Good ol IM8 works great too!!!!
    Wouldnt go IM6 little to light

Kodey

GBO Member
    I have an 13.5' IM6 for sale $125 mint condition.

PM if interested. It is a light rod but if you like light action it is a great steelhead rod.

Mike

Thanks for the tips guys. I played with a couple rods in the shop and I found the IM6 too spongy for my taste. I used to baby my fish and follow them up and down the river to play them. Since I wracked up my hip I think I should get some beefier equipment and try planting my feet and standing my ground. My new front runners are an old school Avid and an RV9. I'm kind of leaning towards the Avid because I like fewer pieces. I never thought the Loomis stuff was worth the price tag. The GLX is a nice stick but I don't think I'll be fishing one any time soon.

GBO Member
    Since you said you like softer rods in the OP, I suggested the GLoomis GLX.
    I personally fish the 3 pc 4-8 CTS, which only comes in blank form.
    I liked it do much I got another, just in case.
    You are definately on the right track with either of your choices.

No worries Bill, I appreciate the input and would love to try out a CTS but they are just too many dollars at this stage in the game. Maybe one day though.

I used to chase my fish but this last outing I planted my feet and didn't like the way my St Croix Wild River performed as a hardware chucker. That's why I'm leaning to something with a little more backbone.

I'll second the CTS is the way to go. My buddy still loves his Rainshadow XST which is a little cheaper and softer but still has the nuts.

GBO Member
    Got a 13' glx 2 peice 1562 (2 power) if you are looking
    Good luck in your search

Kodey