Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to catch steelhead without a float reel?

Let me start out by saying I would love to get a 15' Avid and a Milner Kingfisher. Or even a Raven IM6 and matrix. However, being a student and having a baby on the way I don't have ten cents for new gear never mind enough for a float setup.

What I do have is an 11'6" rod and a spinning reel. I have been throwing hardware (mepps and cleos mostly) and trying to float roe with it but I am having no luck getting into fish with this setup. I'm thinking about trying bottom bouncing. Do I have any other options with my equipment. I can drop a couple bucks on tackle and bait but not enough for a new reel or better yet rod and reel.

How does one bottom bounce? What does the rigging look like? I was thinking 10# power pro main line ( I like braid for sensitivity and diameter, I find mono is too stretchy and I can't feel what I want to), a light weight slinky sinker or maybe drop shot sinker, a bead, micro swivel, then 24" flouro leader to a corkie or spin n glo with some roe. Does that setup sound right? I'll be fishing the Maitland almost exclusively.

Any other techniques I could try?
    Thanks
    Dave

GBO Member
    Go to the link
    There are 4 articles written by Grant Ferris.
    That's his photo in the upper left hand corner of the home page.
    I've never read better
    http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/magazine/

good read, thanks for the link.

GBO Member
    From my experience on the Mait'y with lots of B'bouncing her in the early 80's, it's not a great place to bottom bounce, floatin is much more efficient of a presentation.....
    My best advice to you would be to stick with the gear you have and make it work to your advantage, from everyone else doing the 'same old'....As much as I love the presentation a good pin setup offers, there's no denying the effectiveness of a different presentation. Trout DO get conditioned to same thing time after time, and often something different in presentation will trigger a positive response from them. The past couple seasons out here, I have become a "big fan" of the wobbling spoon, cover water, move fast, and the rewards, more times than not, will put a big smile on yer face. I've seen the bigger stealhead pass up on the 'perfect drift', to turn around, and just hammer, the big chunk of wobbling metal! Esp. fishing behind other anglers.
    When I come back and fish the great lake tribs, I will be putting some serious time in tossing a big K3 or K4 wobbler to them. Sometimes it's better to 'zig' when everyone else is 'zagging'...... your gear is perfect for 'zigging'! Float fishing WAS the 'Zig' not too long ago, but everyone is doing it now, try to 'ZAG' with something different when you can.
    Al P.

A tough day, with a decent hen that couldn't refuse the slow wobble of a K4, after the run was being flogged hard by the spey guys, and 'hot sticks' friends giving her the perfect drift with there 'pins'.

What is a K3/4? Some sort of spoon I imagine.

Add JackFrank on Facebook
    I fished for many many years without a float reel and caught lots of fish. Used a spinning reel and a 9 ft fly rod for many years. Without knowing how you set up your line and tackle it is hard to tell what you could do to improve your rate of success. I would use a 8 or 10 lb mainline with a swivel the a florocarbon leader line matched to the fish size, current and clarity. The bibbest variable would be the distance from the float to your bait. This is trial and error, however sometimes a slight adjustment of an inch can make all the difference between a good day and a better day. Good luck.

GBO Member
    K3 or 4 Wobbler is wide tear dropped shaped spoon, made by Gibbs, there are others, similar design, same idea. Great for slower or shallower water, where a 'Cleo', 'Coho Killer' or 'BC Steel' type spoon will just drop and hook up on the bottom.
    Al P.

You could possibly mimic a float reel presentation with a baitcasting reel in the open position. I have never tried this but I guess in principle it could work. As for rods, you can get away with a 10' noodle rod----i still use it to fish Erie tribs due to all the cover and bush whacking and they are relatively cheap. You may have to use a heavier main line though, maybe 10-12 or even more, as long as you do rig up the fluro tippett. Good luck

Early season is awesome for chucking hardware. Some of the hardest hits I've ever had have some on small #2 Bluefox spinners.

The rod and reel you have is perfect for chuckin steel but if you are fishing the Maitland you will be donating a lot of lures to the bottom.
    Go to the dollar store and pick up some blue and silver and green and silver spoons (little cleo knock offs).
    Make sure to replace the hooks with good ones though.

No reason you cant successfully float fish with that set up, as long as your setting up correctly ei. floats and shot placement, you wont have much more trouble then the guys using pins

Just don't let out more line then needed or you'll have a hard time getting the hook set on longer drifts.

Bottom bouncing can be as simple as hook-line-weight....then wait

This is the basic set up i use when bouncing for bows, your description sounded pretty close to this pic...
    HERE

And if your going to buy the cheapo dollar store lure definitely change the hooks like Dave J mentioned....
    You can ask him why that's so important if you want

you can't float fish with a spinning reel, you can't keep the line tight enough. You might catch the odd one but you'll loose way more and just get frustrated.

Originally posted by chadwerth
    you can't float fish with a spinning reel, you can't keep the line tight enough. You might catch the odd one but you'll loose way more and just get frustrated.
    ??? There's lots of very successful float fishermen out there that still use spinning gear.

Josh

Yes there is........i Like using both......all depends on my mood.........Jim

Not to mention if your gonna be tossing plugs and spinners as well as floating during the course of a day your are best off with either spinning or casting gear.

Josh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast