LHFC April newsletter

Hey,

Here's the latest newsletter from the club. Couple important items to note - first being, help is needed for our spring trout stocking. If are willing to help out in this important task, please let me know and I will get you the required contact information. Its a big job with many thousands of beautiful trout, so the more help the better!!! I will most likely be assisting with the stocking, so if anyone wants to car pool from Goderich, please let me know.

Also, to note, the club in cooperation with the Steelheaders have taken on the Mildmay hatchery quota to raise to fall fingerling stage. This will hopefully further enhance the fishery.

However, the future is only as bright as we anglers make it...the ball is in our court.

Cheers
    Mike

Lake Huron Fishing Club's Newsletter

April 2011

Incorporated 1983
    P.O. Box 355, Southampton, Ontario, N0H 2L0

Club Website: http://www.lakehuronfishingclub.com Derby Website: www.chantrychinook.com

Newsletter Website: http://64.177.125.54/LHFC/newsletter.htm

President’s Message

There are approximately 1 million anglers in the province of Ontario. Every one of these fishermen loves their sport and cares about the state of the fisheries in our province. The majority of anglers have opinions on the status of fishing in their locality and many have suggestions on how fishing can be improved. Over 90% of these 1 million anglers, however, will never do anything to participate in the decisions being made that affect their sport. You are part of the 10% of fishermen that are getting involved. Just by being a member of the Lake Huron Fishing Club, you are helping to determine the future of fishing in Ontario.

This club is providing input to the Ontario Government regarding fishing regulations, fish stocking, licensing, law enforcement, commercial fishing, native harvest, fish sanctuaries, recruitment of new anglers, invasive species, education, stream enhancement, fishing access, tributary connectivity, fish and wildlife spending and much, much more. Not only do we deal with the Ontario government, we also deal with municipal governments to talk about things such as launch ramps, public access, fish cleaning stations, fishing derbies, hatcheries, fish stocking, school programs and stream enhancements. We share information, experiences and resources with neighbouring clubs to have the greatest impact for you, our members. All of this is in addition the actual "hands on" work that we do ourselves, as a club to raise and stock fish, repair streams, conduct school programs, operate launch ramps, run fishing derbies and educate our members. Being a member of this Club allows you to have input to all of these fishing related issues.

The Lake Huron Fishing Club is well respected, both locally and provincially. Our opinions are listened to and we have many examples where we have affected real change. Because we listen to and express the opinions of our members, this means that you have a "seat at the table" when it comes to fishery issues in this province. Talk to your fishing friends and explain why they should join the Lake Huron Fishing Club or another active fish and game club. If they are not willing to get involved when given, an opportunity then they really have no right to complain! Al Wilkins President

Salmon Hatchery Report

The salmon are growing nicely. One week ago I wasn’t so optimistic. When I weigh sampled the salmon there was no weight gain over the previous week for the second batch of salmon that came in. This was the same batch that had the high die-off at hatch. I noticed a number of pinheads in the tank and advised all the crews that we may be seeing heavy die-off in that tank. I thought we were going to see the same problem that we had 4 years ago with the vitamin B deficiency. So far there has not been a heavy die-off and when I weigh sampled them this week there was a significant gain in weight. Also, there did not seem to be as many pinheads. They will be moved to the large rearing tanks this week and we will be able to see better what we have.

The trout are doing very well. They are putting on the beef and I have heard on a few occasions some smattering of talk about them being pan size!!

Now if the weather warms up and warms up the pond both the salmon and trout will grow like gang busters. Garry Biederman

Trout Hatchery Report

Our Kincardine hatchery is full of healthy fish awaiting release. We have 45,000 healthy 10 month old rainbow trout that will be heading for the Saugeen River as soon as the waters warm. There are also 8,000 beautiful 15 month old brown trout ready to be put into Lake Huron. 60,000 brown trout fry have to be counted and moved into bigger tanks to make room for a new batch of rainbow trout eggs, expected to arrive around the 2nd or 3rd week of April.

We are going to have a Trout Hatchery Open House on Sunday, April 17th from 1 pm to 4 pm. Plan on bringing your family and friends over to see what your club has been working on all winter.

Shortly after the Open House I suspect that we will start releasing fish. I figure that with all of the fish in both of our hatcheries we will require about 40 trailer loads. If anyone wishes to help with the stocking, please get hold of Al Wilkins.

This year the Lake Huron Fishing Club is entering into an additional agreement with the Ontario Steelheaders. We are going to receive an extra 100,000 rainbow trout eggs from the Steelheaders. These are eggs that would normally have gone to the Steelheader's Mildmay hatchery. That hatchery will not be operating any longer.

The Lake Huron Fishing Club will be hatching these extra eggs and keeping the fish until October, when they will be released as Fall fingerlings into the Saugeen River. It will require both of our hatcheries to house these fish. The Ontario Steelheaders will be picking up the costs of raising these extra rainbows.

I hope to see lots of you on April 17th at our Trout Hatchery Open House. Al Wilkins

Teeswater Mini School Salmon Hatchery Report

We were off to an incredible start with hardly any loss as the eggs hatched, but after a temperature problem with the aquarium, we started to loss some of the fry. A substitute teacher used the tap in the classroom and forgot to leave the water. As a result, the temperature went up to 70 + degrees over night leaving only two fry living. The club was good enough to give the class another bunch of fry and off we were again. We ended up with about a 1/3 of the fry turning black & starting to die, they looked like they were starving themselves, but the rest of them were looking healthy and getting fat.

I’ve been getting water from Gay Lea Foods were I work because there is no chlorine so we don’t have to let it sit before changing the tank water. Tawnya is changing the water in the morning and the students are feeding the fish morning, both breaks and at the end of the school day. The water is being treated for ammonia and titrates because it seems to be off and the Salmon are looking good. During the March Break, I was down every day to change the water and feed them. I think you can actually see them growing day to day.

Arrangements are being made for a student tour of the Pt Elgin Salmon Hatchery after the school salmon are released but before the hatchery, ones are.

I am placing video reports on the Lake Huron Fishing Club Forum, Grey Bruce Outdoors Forum, Big Fat Bass Forum, Canadian Bass Anglers Federation’s Forum, South Bruce Guide Service my Blog, OFN Community Forum, You Tube, Facebook, Lunkerville and likely a few other places. I am trying to spread the word and getting some good feed back.

See you at the next meeting if I am not working or see some of you on the water!

Next General Membership Meeting

The next General Membership meeting of the Lake Huron Fishing Club will be 7:30 pm, May 12th at the Underwood Community Centre. Shawn Carey, Area Supervisor for Ministry of Natural Resources will be our guest. Please plan on attending this important meeting.

New Members

Brent Mattock - Durham

Josh Campbell - Kincardine

Brian and Sandra Garnet - Blyth

Welcome back Tom Watson – Kincardine

Tree Planting

The newly formed Penetangore Watershed Committee has asked the Lake Huron Fishing Club to assist with tree planting this spring. This club totally supports this initiative. At the time of printing of this newsletter, the details of the tree planting exercise were not known.

Any club members or friends that would like to be involved with the tree planting can leave their names and phone numbers with Al Wilkins 519-396-9764 or email fisheye@bmts.com and I will contact you when we known the time and location.

"Adopt a Highway" Coordinators Needed

The Lake Huron Fishing Club has agreed with the County of Bruce to adopt 2 sections of road for cleanup. We will have one section in the Port Elgin area and one section in the Kincardine area. We would really like to have a coordinator for each highway section to plan the annual cleanup that is required. We will give these people all of the assistance that they require and will help round up volunteers for the cleanup days. If you would consider taking on the coordinator duties for one of these road sections please talk with Carman Gazel 519-368-7118.

General Meeting Mini Draws

Our meeting mini-draws have been going well. Thanks to all the members that participate in these draws. The profits go to the Hall rental for the meetings and for draws for our special functions such as our Pig Roast and Yearly Christmas Party.

Once again, we have the support of these two local stores for our General Meeting Mini-Draws: Thanks to them for their generous prize donations.

Lake Huron Rod & Gun in Underwood

J & S Tackle in Port Elgin

Thanks to these businesses for their continued support and please check them out when you are in need of tackle or hunting goods.

Also thanks to Lorne Fletcher of Fletcher Sports in Shallow Lake for his donations and talk on rod building at the March Meeting. Wayne Passmore

Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby

The February update outlined the major changes to the Derby in 2011. This brief update is to keep you informed of the happenings of the committee.

The “Hooked on Huron” guidebook is in the final stages of preparation, ready for proof reading and going to print. Look for some good editorials and articles. The front cover will feature a salmon caught on Media Day 2010.

A new banner has been designed using the new logo, which will be used at special events and photo opportunities. As well, the posters have been updated with the new look, are in the printing stage.

Derby entrant tickets are being printed, ready for purchase in the next couple of weeks.

Weigh station manuals are being rewritten and edited by committee members, which includes changes to entering fish information. The updates will assist and provide guidance volunteers at the weigh stations during the derby.

Although it is now beyond the time require for advertisers in Hooked on Huron, committee members continue to work on securing the much needed sponsorship. We are very appreciative to Brian King, who again stepped up to the plate to do follow-ups with potential sponsors. We are forever grateful to the companies and individuals who provide the much-needed sponsorship of cash and product to make this derby successful.

Sponsorship, no matter how large or how small helps in putting together the prize packages for the leader board and special events, See the website as listed below for continued updates on sponsors.

The committee will again be hosting fundraising barbeques at the Wal-Mart Superstore in Port Elgin. The dates are May 21st and July 2nd, please support these events.

For up to date information on the derby visit our web site at www.chantrychinookclassic.com

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook
    I will be out to help stock some of those yearlings in the upper Saugeen. The Ram just loves pulling the steelhead express tanker!

GBO Member
    as long as its on a weekend im down for helping stock just let me know when

Neil Leduc
    I would like to help stock, and possibly a few others from fleming that are interested in some volunteer work. Contact info would be great- cheers

thanks guys. I will post details once I know specifics. Right now, will most likely be sometime during last 2 weeks in April after the open house on the 17th. All subject to water temps. Also, bows will be stocked during the day, and the browns in the evening to keep cormorant predation at a minimum as the browns have to go in the lake.

Cheers
    Mike

ChrisHall
    sound like fun mike get me time and dates and the boy and i will come for a cruise and give a hand.... side note looking forward to the kayak derby is it july yet

ok folks...the rainbow stocking is being done on Wed April 20th, all day and into the evening, and again during the day on Thurs the 21st. If anyone is available to help, it would be appreciated!
    Let me know...

Cheers
    Mike