Fin clipping LHFC

Thought I would share a few photos of a fin clipping session a couple of weeks back at the LHFC trout hatchery. Over 60,000 trout to be clipped, I may have clipped about 200 myself, and Paul Winkel also of this board was probably up over a 1000. It was definitely a good way to spend a couple of hours and it satisfied my itch to touch a whole lot of fishies. The fish are looking good and will double to triple their weight from here and with the changes made at the fish way in Walkerton by the Steelheaders et al, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the future results.

Here's Paul netting some trout

Myself and paul

And here is the avg size that we clipped...they only get bigger from here..

Cheers
    Mike

I was really hoping to get over there on Sunday but my Wife had other plans & since I was at Angling Outfitters Bass Talks on the Saturday I didn't think I should push my luck, Thanx for posting this
    Richard

Good work gentlemen! Thanks for sharing your efforts with us!

dwright
    good job guys..nice lookin specimen ya got there. first pic looks like a cig is gonna drop from your mouth into the tank

Fin Clipping

Hi Mike

Question......is it necessary to clip fins?

Seems like a lot of work and stress on the fish, if it's not needed.

Denny

Add Josh Choronzey on Facebook
    Fin-clips are required to provide an indentification marker for stocked fish under the guidlines of the MNR. Cheapest way to mark a fish = fin clip.

These are adipose clips in this case....steelhead that size tend to take them with very little mortality. Better than lopping off a pec fin.

More than 50% of stocked fish on the U.S. side are NOT clipped.

This program on the Saugeen with the Ontario Steelheaders and LHFC has already boosted the return rates of adult steelhead on the big river by staggering amounts.....awesome....and it will just get better!

Originally posted by DennisStewart
    Hi Mike

Question......is it necessary to clip fins?

Seems like a lot of work and stress on the fish, if it's not needed.

Denny
    if we didn't have to do it, by all means we wouldn't....60,000 plus rainbows are a lot of work to clip. They handle the clipping quite well with no casualties. We are not required by the ministry to clip the browns, therefore we don't. Also, the browns are put in the lake as per Ministry requirements.

ChrisHall
    looked like fun Mike thanks for sharing

Josh, Mike

Thanks for clearing that up for me......looking forward to seeing those little beauties swimming in Ontario waters.

We all appreciate your hard work....Keep on Clipping!

Denny