Lake Huron Fishing Club Nov Newsletter

I have recently joined the club and the board, primarily for selfish reasons, that being to help ensure a future fishery for my 4 yr old twins. We had some difficult choices to make at our last meeting...I hope that you take the time to read the letter. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Mike

Lake Huron Fishing Club’s Newsletter

November 2010

Incorporated 1983

P.O. Box 355, Southampton, Ontario, N0H 2L0

Club Website: www.lakehuronfishingclub.com
    Derby Website: www.chantrychinook.com
    Newsletter Website: http://64.177.125.54/LHFC/newsletter.htm

President’s Message

I want to start by wishing a speedy recovery to Bob Greason, our Derby Chairman. Bob suffered a serious injury on his last trip to the river. The trout will be enjoying a brief respite until Bob can get back into his waders.

This month the Lake Huron Fishing Club will be celebrating its 27th birthday. I look through our membership list and still see many names that were present at those early formative meetings. These are the people that laid out the principles, mandate and goals that have guided this club since its inception and that have resulted in the successful and respected organization that we are today. I still idolize these fishing idealists. The excitement and passion generated by our founding members attracted like-minded fishermen and conservationists such that the Lake Huron Fishing Club quickly grew into one of the largest and most active fishing organizations in the province.

As I continue to look through the membership list, I see most names have been there for a number of years. These people are the backbone of the Lake Huron Fishing Club. These are the members that we can count on to work at our hatcheries, staff our weigh stations, contribute to fund raising efforts, attend our meetings and express their opinions. The very fact that these people have been members for many years tells us that we must be doing something right.

The last category of members that I see as I look through our list is those that have joined the Lake Huron Fishing Club within the last couple of years. To me these are the most important members of our club. These are our future. These are the people that are going to carry on the Lake Huron Fishing Club when the rest of us retire. When a new member comes on board it is a vote of confidence in our club. They support the ideals, mandate and goals that were laid down 27 years ago. That does not mean that these new members do not have their own ideas and experience. The world is not the same as it was 27 years ago. Our club cannot remain static. We need these new members to keep us current and relevant. Fortunately, I see our new members involved in our committees, our projects, our meetings and our Executive. That gives me confidence in the future of the Lake Huron Fishing Club.

As I look around our community, I see many new faces. I know that many of these people are fishermen. I also know that many of these people do not know who or what the Lake Huron Fishing Club is. There are some very important issues, related to our fisheries that are either upon us or soon will be. These include fish stocking reviews, commercial fisheries, invasive species, regulation changes, access issues, fishery management plans, habitat rehabilitation, prevention or removal of barriers to fish passage, etc. etc. The need for an organization to be the voice of fishermen on all of these topics is of utmost importance. This is why the Lake Huron Fishing Club exists.

To keep our club healthy and relevant we need to continue to attract new members. This is something that I am requesting your help with. We all know of someone who fishes or is concerned about fishery issues but who is not a member of the Lake Huron Fishing Club. I am asking that you tell that person why you are a proud member. You will be doing that person a favour. If he/she joins the Lake Huron Fishing Club, we all win!

Salmon Hatchery Report

We have approximately 110,000 salmon eggs in the hatchery. We started taking eggs on 27 September and we were finished 5 October. Most of the eggs are now at eye-up and we will be doing shocking and sorting in the early weeks of November. I expect to see hatch mid to late November. We will be getting a tank ready shortly to receive approximately 12,000 rainbows to winter over. Looking like a good year for the hatchery operation.

Trout Hatchery Report

We have released our fall Brown Trout. 49,149 ten month old browns were released into Lake Huron from Point Clark up to Pike Bay with one load going into Barrow Bay. These fish averaged 36 grams, each which is typical for our browns at this time of year. They were all extremely healthy. We are keeping 8,000 browns over the winter and they will be released next spring. They will be pushing 200 grams each by April.

We have also done a fall release of the extra rainbow trout that we had in our hatchery. Approximately 20,000 4-month-old rainbow fingerlings were released into the North Saugeen River. These fish averaged about 7 grams/each. This leaves us with about 55,000 rainbows that will be held over the winter. Sometime next month we will be moving 12,000 of these rainbows to Port Elgin to keep their Chinook company. Both of our hatcheries will be running at maximum capacity for the winter.

I want to thank Ray Walser and Barry Stinson for doing most of the driving for the fish releases. Many, many miles were put on their vehicles towing the stocking trailer around and all they ever ask for is the cost of their fuel to be paid for. If we had to pay mileage for this stocking, we would not be able to afford our hatcheries. I also want to thank the hatchery workers that volunteered their time and labour to assist with the stocking. Over 4,000 lbs of fish were netted and carried to the stocking trailer over this past week. A final congratulation goes out to all of the hatchery workers that produced all of these healthy trout. Sportsmen around the lake owe you a big "THANKS".

Next General Membership Meeting

The next General Membership meeting for the Lake Huron Fishing Club is Thursday, November 11 at the Underwood Community Center. Meeting begins at 7:30 pm. Jody Scheifley from the Ministry of Natural Resources will be giving a talk on migrating rainbow trout in the Saugeen River. Jody will talk about recent tagging studies, upcoming modifications to the Truax Dam fish ladder, possible developments of the old hydro dam and problems with the Maple Hill dam.

Al Wilkins will be giving updates on important business of the Lake Huron Fishing Club. An important issue to be discussed is whether members wish to return to having monthly membership meetings. Please attend this meeting and let your opinions be known. Bring a friend and let us meet.

OFAH Zone H Annual Meeting

The Lake Huron Fishing Club is acting as host for the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, Zone H. The conference will be held on November 12th and 13th at the Colonial Motel in Port Elgin. It would be nice to see a good turnout from Club members to represent the Lake Huron Fishing Club.

The meetings are free and start at 10:00 am on Saturday, November 13th. There is a banquet Saturday night that is open to all OFAH members. The cost is $30/single or $55/couple. Please attend if you can to show the LHFC supports the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

Membership

It is time to renew your membership for 2011. We are in the process of switching to a new program for keeping track of our members. As your membership comes up for renewal, please complete the membership form in its entirety. We need to ensure that we have the most current and up to date information for each member. Also as a reminder, the Lake Huron Fishing Club no longer collects OFAH dues.

Members who receive their newsletter via email will be receiving a separate email indicating their membership is due for 2011.

Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby

The 2011 Derby Committee held its first meeting on October 12, 2010. Al Wilkins, our new LHFC President made a very welcomed presentation to the committee. Bob Greason will return as our Chairman for the 2011. Anyone wishing to join or assist the committee in any way should contact Bob at 519-832-6723 or email chairman@chantrychinook.com. Your assistance would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. If you are unable to join us but have suggestions on how to improve the Derby, please contact Bob with your ideas.

The 2010 Derby was another success with the money raised slightly exceeding that of 2009. President Al Wilkins was presented a cheque from proceeds of the derby at our last meeting. It helps to inject needed funds into the Lake Huron Fishing Club’s coffers, so they can continue to contribute to the health of our fisheries and ensure a healthy future for the next generation of fishermen.

The committee undertook having a new look and publisher for the “Hooked on Huron’ guide book, which received many positive comments. For the first time the derby received funds from the sale of ads in this publication. Bayshore Broadcasting, our major sponsor will again be publishing the book, which is hoped to be expanded with the sale of more ads. If you or anyone you know wishes to have an ad please let us know.

The 28th Annual Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby dates are Saturday July 23 to Sunday August 7, 2011. Special events during the derby include: Sponsor/Media Day Friday July 8, Ladies Days July 24 and 31st. Seniors Days July 27 and August 3, Kids Day July 30th, closing ceremonies 1:30 pm Sunday August 7, at the Tiverton Community Centre. Mark your calendars for the all you can eat fish fry at the Kincardine Harbour, Friday August 5, 4:00 to 8:00 pm in support of the Lake Huron Fishing Club.

The 1st place Salmon is increased from $12,000 to $14,000. The 1st place Trout is increased from $2,500 to $6,000 and the 3rd place Trout increased from $500 to $750. There will also be prize boards for the 4th to 8th place trout.

The much needed sponsorship drive for the derby is already actively being pursued. If you wish to sponsor, purchase an advertisement in “Hooked on Huron” or know someone who does, please let us know.

The Chantry Chinook Classic has joined Face book. See us by clicking here.

Rick Dwinnell has been working hard and has all the new information for 2011 posted on the Chantry website. Stay tuned to the Derby website at www.chantrychinook.com!

LHFC ATV Draw Winner

Winner of the ATV was Norm Shea of Port Elgin. Congratulations Norm!

I Would like to thank all that helped in anyway to make the lottery another success with special thanks to the Fish Kincardine Derby, Peninsula Ford and Kincardine Canadian Tire for their very generous donations.

Also to Randy Duffy for helping to make this possible and for his support, Lake Huron Rod & Gun and J & S Tackle for printing of the tickets and posters.

Jim Beange, Lottery Chairman.

Lake Huron Fishing Club
    P.O. Box 355
    Southampton, Ontario N0H 2L0

GBO Member
    Thanks for posting this Mike.

I have a question regarding the stocking of the club's Brown Trout that's been on my mind for years...why are they planted in the lake rather than in various river systems (so that they might imprint and be caught in better numbers in the Huron rivers than they are presently)? I suspect it's a MNR imposed limitation?

Good question, I too was wondering...didn't have an answer as new to club, so forwarded the question to the president. In a nutshell - With a fall release in the river, they would stay concentrated until spring at which point the cormorants would find them and clean them out. With a fall lake release, they are well dispersed from release locations come spring. Also, apparently they spawn both in lake and rivers, however, not sure of success of lake spawning,.

I guess at the end of the day there is probably no perfect solution. Its interesting stuff, glad to be part of it.

Cheers
    Mike