Float fishing tackle?
Steve <Send E-Mail> -- Tuesday, 9 10 01, at 10:31 p.m.

I have just started fishing with a float rod and reel in the last year but have yet to master the finer points. My question deals with rigging a float rod with terminal tackle. Firstly what type of floats do you like to use (Brand and Style)? How long of lead do you use? Do you put split shot on your leader or only on the main line? Do you run a long lead ( longer than the depth your fishing )? What pound test is your main line and leader? Also how do you rig for the unconventional float fishing water (Deep Pockets with lots of boulders)? I mainly fish for steelhead/shakers. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

Grant! Re: Float fishing tackle?
Grant <Send E-Mail> -- Thursday, 11 10 01, at 11:48 p.m.

Good questions Steve but there are no easy answers because with every one of your questions the answer depends upon river or stream conditions and other varible factors.

I'll explain what I mean with each on of your queries:

Steve asks: Firstly what type of floats do you like to use (Brand and Style)?

*****I like small cork floats about acorn size, some I make myself and some I buy if I see a model I like. My second choice would be good quality balsa or the clear plastic ones so common now. Since I prefer to run light if conditions permit, I need the casting weight a cork float provides. If I have to load up a float for high and strong currents or deep water, I switch to one of the other types. I do prefer to have the line running through my floats mostly so that makes me pass on the smaller clear plastic most of the time. Another factor here is that I fish mostly the Saugeen, big water with long distance drifts and I fish through much of the winter. I make ten or fifteen trips to the Sauble with only the odd one to the Bighead or Sydenham so I need a good-sized red head on my floats for most of my fishing. If I find a float I especially like, I cover it with rod winding epoxy so it will last.

Steve asks: How long of lead do you use?

*****Depends on water clarity, depth, flow, spookiness of the fish.

Steve Asks: Do you put split shot on your leader or only on the main line?

***Only on the main line by preference but a strong flow often makes it necessary to shot the leader.

Steve Asks: Do you run a long lead ( longer than the depth your fishing )?

**** Yes.

What pound test is your main line and leader?

****My mainline is always 8 lb test, usually a good qualithy line that doesn't get too stiff in cold weather. I've tried running 6 lb test a dozen times but it just blows around too much when the wind is coming up the river. The last year I've been using Silver Thread, a copolymer line which is limp enough but wears like iron compared to cheaper lines. It also has good knot strength and stands up to a lot of abuse.

Steve Asks: Also how do you rig for the unconventional float fishing water (Deep Pockets with lots of boulders)?

****That's pretty well conventional water to me Steve. I love that type of water and so do rainbows. I would run a few B's, number depending upon water depth, followed by some #6 shot and then a 4-6 lb flurourcarbon leader, size depending on water clarity. (Why finesse if you don't need to?) My leader would be attached to my mainline by a triple surgeon's knot (swivels are for people who can't tie knots, sorry if this offends anyone)and the hook size would depend on water condition and roe bag size...always match hook size to bait size. My hook knot would be a Palomar or World's Fair knot unless I was using a pinch of yarn on the knot in which case I would use an Improved Cinch knot.

Steve: I mainly fish for steelhead/shakers. Any tips would be appreciated

****1)Try tying up some roe that hasn't been treated or water hardened if you are using bags. Sure, it doesn't last, but while it does....

2) Use only top quality hooks like Tiemco, Daiichi #1150, Raven's Sedge, etc. Good hooks with micro-barbs or no barbs hook easier than dull hooks with big barbs.

3) Experiment with your depth setting and shot. If you are rigged light enough, a rainbow won't reject your bait before you get a chance to set the hook.

4) Try fishing single eggs, boiled just enough to make them tough on the outside but liquid on the inside. These are a good bait for steelies in October and early November. After that roe bags are better in my home waters.

Good Luck.