imitating flies with spinners
jerry onetim <Send E-Mail> -- Monday, 24 9 01, at 3:24 p.m.

its me again. i come to the realization that float fishing is not for me, eventhough it might be the only way to go, i'd rather be creative and try new things. i went out the other day in the river and everybody who was fishing were just snagging them in the bellies and tails. i find no pride in that. it's different when you pull in a big bow with the spinner dangling out of its mouth. i intend to go to the upper credit. i am trying to basically "match the hatch", but instead of flies, im using spinners. can you name spinners that might imitate these fliesale evening dun; mahogany dun; giant drake; white green caddis; great orange sedge; grasshopper.

ps.thanx for getting back to me so quick with my last inquirey.

Grant! Re: imitating flies with spinners
Grant <Send E-Mail> -- Monday, 24 9 01, at 9:23 p.m.

Whoa! I like the idea of trying new things and I wouldn't want to discourage innovative angling but it seems to me that using spinners to imitate flies is pushing the envelope of creativity quite a bit. Also I wonder what you might consider as the upper Credit because I don't think lake rainbows or salmon are allowed to get up into the Upper Credit around the Forks or up to the Cataract falls area.

There are plenty of fly designs that imitate all the important aquatic and terrestial insects but I cannot really see any advantage in having a spinner imitate a fly. If you take the blade off a spinner and make the body light enough to float, guess what you have? Right, a fly, not a spinner. Spinners may imitate crayfish or some fleeing aquatic creature to trout but I doubt they imitate flies.

I'm familiar with the very spooky and suspicious nature of upper Credit River browns because from about 1970 to 1981 I fished that area about once a week during trout season, usually with nymphs during daylight and dries or streamers after sunset. Sometimes It would seem there were no fish in the river and then a hatch would start and the rises would be amazing. During the Hexagenia Limbata spinner fall it would sound like someone was throwing bricks in the river after dark, big browns would come out of hiding and stuff themselves with the giant drakes. I never landed any browns bigger than 22 inches in that little stream but every one, even the 12 inchers, seemed like a trophy.

Perhaps you should try the spinners up here in the Nottawasaga, Beaver, Maitland and Saugeen Rivers. I've seen plenty of big rainbows caught on spinners up here and even caught a few with spinners myself. As for snagging, that can be done with any method of fishing, including spinners. I don't think float fishers deserve any more blame for snagging than any other type of angler.
My son occasionally accompanies me on the Saugeen and he is every bit as productive with spinners as I am with finesse float fishing despite my somewhat greater river experience.
One year we had a challenge, spinners against roe and I wrote a story about it, perhaps I'll post it on Grey-Bruce Outdoors.

Grant.