fall flyfishen at benmiller
sean <Send E-Mail> -- Tuesday, 11 9 01, at 9:42 a.m.

I`M GO TO BENMILLER ON SEPT22 WEEKEND, I`M FROM PICKERAL COUNTRY IN WINDSOR JUST GETTING INTO FLYFISHIN SINCE BY TRIP TO ALBERTA, WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ON FLYS AND WHERE TO GO ALSO IF YOU KNOW OF ANY TROUT FISHIN CLOSE TO WINDSOR. THANKS SEAN

Grant! Re: fall flyfishen at benmiller
Grant <Send E-Mail> -- Wednesday, 12 9 01, at 2:20 p.m.

Sean:

Winsdor is a little out of my past and present range but I can suggest some southern Ontario fly-fishing areas.

The Beaver River and its tributaries contain browns and some brookies but you have to be careful not to trespass as much of it is posted.
The Upper Bighead has quite a migratory run of rainbows that will take wet flies presented right but the valley is like the Bermuda Triangle for getting lost and you really need a topographical map. A portable GPS wouldn't hurt either, it's the only place I have ever been in my life where I get turned around.
The Saugeen River from Walkerton down to the first bridge contains some nice brown trout but they are almost exclusively night or late evening risers. Some excellent fly fishers swear there are no trout but if you return at dusk on a good night you will see plenty of rises. A canoe or light flat bottom boat is valuable for this stretch. Not much of the river is available by road or shore access.
The lower Saugeen gets some decent rainbow runs from mid-September on after every good rain and egg-sucking leeches or muddler minnows will catch fish. Also Michigan wiggerlers.
The Grand River has been returned to its 1950 glory days thanks to the Friends of the Grand River. Stop in Fergus at the south end of town (Troutfitters) for the latest hatch news.
The Upper Nottawasaga around the Hockley Valley still has decent trout habitat, also some of the tribs like the Pine and the Boyne. Our season closes September 30 though.

The upper Credit is still, despite lots of anglers and low water, a great fishery. I used to fish it once a week and despite high fishing pressure caught browns from 11 to 22 inches. Above the Cataract you can still catch and hopefully release nice brookies on wets.
Although there are some resident stream trout around the Goderich area, our entire soutwestern Ontario area was hard hit by the summer drought when we got no rain for 6 weeks so you might be better off fishing migratory rainbows this fall.

Grant in Bruce County.