Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tying 2 on

GBO Member
    Brian,
    Doing great, have Joedy here rigging up his HD spey conversion pin rig and we're off to tug on some Thompson river Nooks tomorrow. Have no problem tieing finer leader a couple times through the smaller hook eyes. Never really ran big hooks for steelehead until I started fishing here.

Originally posted by brianrobinson

How are ya Rick? I've always found you so agreeable.
    Hey, I've been driving over the Grand several times in the past couple months. I want to fish that river sometime this fall.
    Good thanks Brian. Apart fom getting cranky in my old age.
    Lost track of where you're living now but anytime you're down this way give me a shout.
    Missed you at the Swill last week. Hope all is good.

Originally posted by GilTam
    Standard improved cinch with a longer tagged end for the other. Distance between the two flys would depend on flow.
    You could use just about any knot you like. As long as it can be tied leaving a long tail (tag end) for your second fly.
    I like the palomar knot when it comes to light line. (confidence thing) If you find the eye of the hook too small to pass the line through doubled, just thread it through once and make a loop and come back through the eye again.

For sure, palomar is a great knot. I use it for the most part when bassin ( using lures). I did try it for the tandem tye up but could never get the right length of a tag end. I would end up re-tying the length of the bottom fly. All of a sudden when doing so, I would hook up.......... most likely a confidence thing, eh?

Eric Lenover
    I'm really surprised no one has mentioned a dropper rig. Triple surgeon a peice of leader material onto your leader and tie a yarn fly onto each. It is strong, and they are both on the ends of the material so the fish can suck them in easy. Usually one short lead (6") and one long (18") from the knot.

I didn't know that pulling on the back of a snell knot was weak, I'll be testing that theory out when I get back to the shop. Have never broke the back hooks off a worm harness before.

Originally posted by AlPatton
    Too bad double rigs are illegal out here in BC, as they would be absolutely deadly on our still water trout, fished under a strike indicator.
    Al
    Have you tried a chironomid under a slip float on ultralight spinning gear yet, Al? That used to drive my buddies nuts, works real well especially when they are down 20'.

Very informative post. Thanks to all. I will be trying a two fly rig this fall.

Nardi...

Back when I was on a dropper kick I pre tied tandem flies on the vice and just coiled them up. They worked good I guess but I woudn't swear by them for steelhead.

GBO Member
    Add BradHodkinson on Facebook
    im not a big fan of tandums especialy if you are catch and release line damage to a fish wrapped up in the trailing fly does alot of scale damage and the gills at times
    i still do however the odd time use 2 flys but not to often

John Tymoshuk
    I find I end up snagging and loosing two flies instead of one at a time.

Originally posted by Eric Lenover
    I'm really surprised no one has mentioned a dropper rig.
    I used dropper rigs for both fly and float fishing. One would always twist and wrap around the other. Dragging it back through the current made the whole rig spin like a propeller. Especially after long drifts under a float.

I'm a big fan of tandem rigs. In high, dirty water I've done well using large bags or 6' pink worms in tandem. In early spring a bag with a small black stone as a dropper has worked really well for me. And when nymphing with the flyrod I almost always run a yarn fly up top with a nymph/bugger dropper.

When I'm floating the rig usually consists of a blood knot with a tag end on the mainline side to attach the top fly. The key for me is to leave the tag end as short as possible (usually under 2") and tangles are very rarely a problem.

With the flyrod a 18" to 24" dropper is always tied directly to the bend of the first fly.

Bring on the steel!

Josh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12