mnr river stocking

I'm quite familiar with mnr's fish-on-line tool, but, is there somewhere I can find more information regarding mnr's stocking specifically in rivers? The fish on line tool fails to mention much the stocking that takes place in many rivers... thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hasson View Post
    I'm quite familiar with mnr's fish-on-line tool, but, is there somewhere I can find more information regarding mnr's stocking specifically in rivers? The fish on line tool fails to mention much the stocking that takes place in many rivers... thanks for any help.
    I would suggest contacting the MNR. That is public information that they must release upon request. They do this in the North for stocked lakes.
    "Gone fishin' by a shady wady pool...." - Louis Armstrong & Bing Crosby

I'm not sure stocking carried out by clubs is included within the fish online info? That could be the reason for seemingly missing info..

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Roelofsen View Post
    I'm not sure stocking carried out by clubs is included within the fish online info? That could be the reason for seemingly missing info..

Josh
    That information is not on the fish on line tool... There are spots on rivers that I thought for sure are stocked by them, but are not included, for example browns on the saugeen(and not the ones the LHFC stocks), who else stocks in our rivers then? And do they not stock the Maity at all with non-fin clippers?

I am unaware of any MNR stocking on the Maitland or it's tribs. The Maitland Valley Anglers have done it for years, but not the MNR as far as I know.

Ok thanks for the clarification Lee.

All I can find is this from 2013, and the fish-on-line tool is missing some of the information from this report.
    http://files.ontario.ca/environment-...h-20140214.pdf

There's still a spot on the Saugeen that comes to mind that has been stocked with browns every year, but it is not LHFC and the tool has no mention of it...
    Last edited by Dan Hasson; 01-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.

One thing with the Fish ON-line site, is that anglers can input information which is not always true. However, the MNR does use it for posting stocking information and broad scale monitoring surveys (BSM) that goes into further details about the fish populations and which species are present, water quality, invasive species, etc. etc.

That stocking list is very similar to what I have seen for Northern lakes. They may not have published the newest information, but it may be available if you call or email them.

GBO Member
    GOOD LUCK AND PLAY SAFE

this may help you...a little bit of searching but it's pretty easy
    http://www.glfc.org/fishstocking/exactsearch.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Skinner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darryl choronzey View Post
    this may help you...a little bit of searching but it's pretty easy
    http://www.glfc.org/fishstocking/exactsearch.htm
    Glen, that was pretty much what I was looking for, thanks!

Darryl, that is a neat link, I was surprised to see some creeks in the area that had been stocked with specks close to 20 years ago. I doubt they would still exist in those areas, but I might have to do some venturing come spring...

There's still one spot in my mind that is stocked but doesn't appear in any of these doc's... Darryl I might fire a PM your way, you will likely know the answer, just to not name an exact location on a public forum.

When I was a kid, the MNR had a practise of stocking some still very good cold water 'survival' streams very , very close to Owen Sound with rookies.. The chub were hare on their survival and reproduction but they offered good fly fishing and regular fishing. Then the MNR pulled the plug..still have the water but the mnr pulled the practise way back then. Funny part is I know a guy who has the same genetics from the same place, but the ministry turns a blind on the proposal...I was going to bring it into the SSA program, but I walked on another matter and never heard anything being tried on it...too bad.

Brookies were released the last 2 years out of the Owen Sound office with them scattered throughout Grey/Bruce I believe, some where 2 years old I believe.
    Tight Lines SBK
    Tight Lines And Straight Shooting
    Waterloo Wellington CBAF
    Lake Huron Fishing Club
    Grey Bruce Bass Club
    CBAF Team Ontario 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Elliott Jr View Post
    Brookies were released the last 2 years out of the Owen Sound office with them scattered throughout Grey/Bruce I believe, some where 2 years old I believe.
    Tight Lines SBK
    That was a great opportunity to catch some bigger specks for our area, and with the intention that those adults would be stocked purely for catch and keep, I finally could eat a nice speck without feeling guilty I fished for them a few weeks after they were stocked and got a nice 15"er to bring home. Hope they do it again this year!