Stocking of native Trout... in local waterways

I saw this on CTV Kitchner and thought I would share. I suspect I know some of the waterways mentioned due to the restoration work that has been done... ie turning a warm water creek back to a cold water creek thru tree cover and other restorative measures.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/7-500-tr...ways-1.3156879
    I may not change the world; but I'm gonna leave a scar. - Blackberry Smoke

Unfortunate the year they decide to do this that many of these creeks dried up to nothing this summer and fall! The restoration work on the Avon has been going on for a few years now it would be nice to see some trout back in there like before the 2 dams in Stratford went up. My much older relatives told me there was once very good speckle and brown fishery there east of the city. Those days are long gone half a century ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gary gould View Post
    The restoration work on the Avon has been going on for a few years now
    Not only the past few years; but some individuals realized problems and started work back in the 70's(?). Meaning they started to see their fields washing away off the slopes in the Shakespeare area, they had to think out of the box on how to manage the fields to maintain soil on the land. Now with today's larger operations I am not sure how much of what happened then is still used today. Last I drove the area I still did note some.

GBO Member
    Years ago, I used to catch Speckled Trout in trout creek in St. Mary's. They were present from the golf course all the way past the train trestle.

GBO Member
    I'd sat they better do some stream improvements first. Stocking is the last thing you do. There has been some serious stream enhancements in the Guelph/Fergus area that paid dividends. It turns out the Grand River brown trout don't spawn very well in the Grand. The movement of gravel down the river each year diminished with the building of the various dams in the Fergus area. The browns swim up side streams to spawn. Heavy rehab started in the late 1980's and of course constant stocking each year to maintain the river population of browns.

Quote Originally Posted by DanOGorman View Post
    I'd sat they better do some stream improvements first.
    The Perth Stewardship Network of which I am a Councillor, has assisted financially to stream improvements, I suspect I know of some of the stream mentioned in the article. Unfortunately, the work already completed does not get that much media attention, which is sad, it should be celebrated, held up high as an example, unfortunately it is not. If not for me posting of the improvements to the Middle Maitland, how many of you would have ever heard of our dam decommissioning?