Baitcasting Setup?

I've heard some talk about using a baitcast setup for fishing steelhead. Anyone know what they are using? I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks

GBO Member
    HI Shawn,
    I've seen this done years ago by someone I knew. It's the same rig as using a float reel,... long rod required (over 10ft minimum). You have the "push button" on the baitcaster to allow free spool of the line as it's drifting... float goes down, engage the handle, set the hook. Advantage is you can fight the fish with a drag on the reel, versus a float reel that has none but your hand as the drag.
    To each his/her own, I think I prefer the float reel. Just my 2 cents.
    Paul.

I have a 13 foot float rod that I had converted to a bc rod. All you have to do is twist the first couple of guides. I used to use it a lot when I fished the saugeen in the winter, so I didn't have to stand on the ice shelves to cast to clay banks on the other side of the river. I would much rather fish with my float reel because I have way more control of my float but when you need to bomb it way out there it cant be beat.
    Last edited by Dave Jones; 03-07-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    I have a 13 foot float rod that I had converted to a bc rod. All you have to do is twist the first couple of guides. I used to use it a lot when I fished the saugeen in the winter, so I didn't have to stand on the ice shelves to cast to clay banks on the other side of the river. I would much rather fish with my float reel because I have way more control of my float but when you need to bomb it way out there it cant be beat.
    Yup, it pretty much takes the cake for casting distance and zero line twist
    A few things to note - braid line freezes and wont cast worth a darn when it's really cold
    More weight and larger float is usually required

Shawn,
    I fish this way (baitcaster and wrapped guides) and love it. I use a Calcutta on an 11' St Croix 7 weight, 4 piece, switch rod blank that I built last summer. You may as well build your own, it really wasn't that hard and you don't need any fancy equipment. The rod performs well, and you can switch to chucking hardware when you get bored of float fishing or if conditions call for it. I had some luck catching steelhead with my 2 handed rod last fall also, so the baitcaster will take a back seat on the big rivers more often in the years to come.

N.B. - You have to get really good at managing your line when casting under free spool conditions, this can be tough in the wind and the cold can make your thumb unable to feel the spool properly. If you over-spool, get your best swearing routine ready because it can be a real mess.

Good luck...

Niel.

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I will stick with my float rod. Lol

it doesnt take much to give it a try. I use my baitcast setup when its really cold, so i can wear heavy gloves. I use a 10-6 Berkley one steelhead rod and a shimano curado l. Its fun to put the boots to a big fish!(good for catch and release as well). I use 14 pound mono on my reel with a 8 pound shot line and 6 pond flouro lead. You will never get the same drift as your pin but it is fun to try some new methods as well.
    nate

My favorite drift rig is using a 9' 6" tfo baitcaster with a abu garcia revo sx real. 8 pound mono mainline with a floro leader. It does get a little tuff to cast with a light setup and a head wind. What I do is use a heavier setup and bulk shot right below the float. I would say that a quality reel is every bit a smooth with feeding line into the drift as a pin. Plus the option is always there to throw hardware in a pinch.

GBO Member
    Baitcaster float rods are very popular out here making long casts super easy! The new Loomis 1MX 1363c(11'4') is an incredible bait cast float rod that would work excellent on the Great Lake fishery.